Sanlam was established as a life insurance company in South Africa but has since transformed into a diversified financial services group that operates across the African continent, India, Malaysia and selected developed markets, with listings on the Johannesburg, A2X and Namibian stock exchanges. In 2018 the Group celebrated its centenary as well as 20 years since demutualisation and listing in South Africa and Namibia. Sanlam is one of the 50 largest internationally active insurance groups in the world with a presence in 43 countries and has the biggest non-banking financial services footprint on the African continent.
The Group’s four business clusters (Sanlam Life and Savings, Sanlam Investment Group, Sanlam Emerging Markets and Santam) house the Group’s business operations. The Group provides strategic direction and support to the four clusters, assisting them in realising their strategies and meeting their business objectives. The Group Office is responsible for governance and for the Group’s centralised functions, which include: Finance, Actuarial and Risk Management, Strategy, Human Resources, Market Development and Brand Services.
What will you do?
Sanlam Group Tax Services is a Group Office function that is responsible for the governance and compliance oversight, risk management and technical support relating to direct and indirect taxes for entities in the Sanlam Group (“Tax support”).
Due to the specialised nature and impact of Value Added Tax (“VAT”) in the Sanlam Group, the function has a specific focus on VAT (“VAT support”). This vacancy is in the sub-function that focuses on VAT support to the South African businesses and will report to the Head of the VAT support function. In addition you may be required to provide assistance on international VAT matters relating to the operations of Sanlam subsidiaries outside of South Africa.
What will make you successful in this role?
Direct support to the Head of Indirect Taxes with specific focus on –
- Ensuring the overall reasonability of Sanlam Life Insurance Ltd’s (‘Sanlam Life’s) VAT returns and VAT control accounts based on analytical control procedures
- Perform the periodic VAT apportionment calculations of Sanlam Life and assist with implementation thereof.
- Assist with drafting of VAT related SARS correspondence, including verification letter responses, VAT ruling requests and VAT disputes.
- Review of the VAT apportionment calculations and adjustments of South African businesses and IT14SD reconciliations from a VAT perspective.
- Liaison with South African businesses on VAT related matters.
- Improve VAT bookkeeping and drafting of VAT policies, assist with ad-hoc projects, where required.
- Perform VAT health-checks and walkthroughs on rotation basis. Pro-actively identify and investigate any VAT risk areas or training needs, research and present potential solutions and review the implementation of recommendations.
- Stay abreast of developments in VAT, assist with implementation of new VAT rules, liaison with internal and external auditors on VAT related matters, VAT training within the Sanlam Group.
Qualification and Experience
CA (SA) or Hons B. Com with tax subject or similar
- Approximately 5 years’ experience in a financial department in Sanlam (VAT exposure will be a positive but not requirement) or 5 years VAT exposure in financial service organizations or accounting firms.
- Basic knowledge of the South African VAT legislation, ability to interpret requirements and application in a financial services environment would be a positive.
- VAT being a transaction tax, all the above tasks require specific financial skills (financial acumen, sound understanding of basic financial and business management principles and the interpretation of financial information are crucial).
- Computer literacy (advance spread sheet capabilities, working knowledge of financial and general ledger systems)