Sasol Mining operates six coal mines that supply feedstock for our Southern African integrated value chain. The coal supplied to Secunda Synfuels Operations (SSO) is mainly used as gasification feedstock and some is used to generate electricity. The coal supplied to Sasolburg Operations (SO) is used to generate electricity and steam. We also export coal from the Twistdraai Export Plant to internal power generation customers via the Richards Bay Coal Terminal.
ABOUT THE ROLE / PURPOSE OF THE JOB
– Accountable for the full value chain of sustained safe mining of 4 million ton coal with 4 or more production sections, according to comparative volume, cost and quality requirements from underground coal reserves
– Adhering to all legislative requirements by leading, directing and managing the operational and business objectives of a large mine
– Manage coal production at a large mine with a total annual budget of R450m – R550m
– This position carries a 3.1 legal appointment for the mine
In line with Sasol’s commitment to Employment Equity, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
In addition to a pre-employment medical examination, some positions may require a physical fitness assessment as part of the normal selection criteria.
1. Short term Mine planning – Develop and own – mine planning and scheduling.
2. Mine strategic plan – Internal and External stakeholder engagement – Interact with relevant stakeholders, unions, DMR, contractors, suppliers, etc.
3. Long term resource planning – Recruitment, training and career development.
4. Safe Production – Manage production operations and make appropriate adjustments to deliver agreed volumes at optimal productivity and cost in normal time.
5. (Safe Production) – Ensure execution of engineering and maintenance strategies / plans that optimise sweating of assets and total cost of ownership.
6. (Finance) – Prime responsibility for annual budget including volume, capex and cost requirements and control cost to ensure production volumes are achieved within budget.
7. (SHE) – Overall accountability for strategy to strive towards best in class safety performance and continuous improvement of key safety metrics to maintain license to operate.
- In line with Sasol’s commitment to Employment Equity, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
- In addition to a pre-employment medical examination, some positions may require a physical fitness assessment as part of the normal selection criteria.
Qualifications and Experience:
– Government Certificate of Competence (Mining or Engineering) (Must)
– Relevant B. Eng. / BSc Eng. with a minimum of 7 years relevant Engineering in Mining industry experience, with minimum 4 years Operations (Maintenance or Production or Production Services) Management Experience
– Relevant B Tech / National Higher Diploma with a minimum of 10 years relevant Engineering in Mining industry experience, with minimum 4 years Operations (Maintenance or Production or Production Services) Management Experience
– Mine Overseer Certificate of Competence and Mine Managers Certificate of Competence with a Minimum 10 years relevant Engineering in Mining industry experience, with minimum 4 years Operations (Maintenance or Production or Production Services) Management Experience
– Professionally Certified Engineer will be an added advantage
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
– Delivering on safe production plan for the year for the mine, balancing reserve utilisation, cost and production priorities without compromising safety
– In-depth knowledge of, as well as application of various sets of legal requirements (SLP, Mining charter requirements, SHE related requirements, water use license, etc.)
– Highly unionised (multi-union) environment in which union and employee engagement is critical
– Balancing short term priorities vs. long term sustainable mining practices and productivity
-This is a Large Mine underground coal mine, consisting of 10 or more sections production in excess of 8 million tons per year.
-This position has a 3.1 legal appointment and is accountable for the full operation of the mine including production, cost, quality, safety, short and long-term planning and people management within a highly regulated industry.
-It is a high pressure, production environment, complicated by various legal requirements.
-It is a highly unionised environment (multi-unions) and engagement with both unions and employees are critical.
-Complex interfaces with contractors and suppliers also exists.
-Information from various sources needs to be analyzed, interpreted and integrated to make trade-off decisions in the best interest of the mine, Sasol Mining and Sasol as a whole.
- Business-focussed: Demonstrates commercial acument, a globel mind-set and exercises sound judgment
- Results-focusesed: Achieves results thorugh others and holds them accountable
- Sets Direction: Provides vision and direction aligned to One Sasol
- Drives Competitive Edge: Leads organisational change, innovation and sustainability
How To Apply?
Apply Online Here